Personally I have backed twenty projects thus far… of the twenty, one got cancelled, another was unsuccessful and a third is currently in progress and will be until mid-January.
Of the seventeen that are left… I have seen the final products of five of them while others are either delayed or still in development. Below is a list of the final products / projects that I have received and how I have felt about them thus far in chronological order from the first project / product backed to the most recent:
MODEST MEDUSA SEASON 1
Modest Medusa is one of those web comics that I was introduced to by a friend and grew to not only love and enjoy but actively keeping up with to see more of. So when a Kickstarter was created so that Season 1 of the Modest Medusa web comic could be released in book form I just HAD to jump on it.
So what did I ended up going for?
A walk on role in an upcoming Modest Medusa strip. You’ll appear in at least one panel (and likely more) sometime during Modest Medusa Season 2. You may get a speaking role, or you may get killed by the Chainsaw Unicorn! You’ll receive the original black and white art for this strip after it’s published. You’ll also receive the previously mentioned rewards.
Damn right! Featured in a couple of panels was nice… quick, sweet and to the point… not to mention it caters to my semi-evil self. But what were the “previously mentioned rewards? Well they include:
- A special Modest Medusa Season 1 print, created just for this kickstarter! This full color 11 x 17 print features all the characters and events from Season 1
- A box of tasty Hostess Chocodiles (the Medusa’s favorite snack)
- A hand colored Modest Medusa panel. Choose your favorite panel from any Modest Medusa strip and I’ll print it in black and white on high quality 5 x 6 bristol board and color it by hand using copic markers. A one of a kind piece of art
- A copy of the Modest Medusa Season 1 book, signed by myself and my niece Marah. I’ll also do a little Medusa sketch on the title page!
- A special Modest Medusa sticker set, featuring brand new art created just for this Kickstarter! Additionally your name will appear on the Thank You page in the book
Anyway… more about Modest Medusa in another post down the road… for now… onward!
I chose to fund this project primarily because a fair majority of the cast and crew I was friends with at the time (whileas nowadays I know far more people… :P) so when word came around that the writer / director of the production was putting together a Kickstarter campaign for the production I figured “why not?” it would be fun, the show would be witty (I hope) and I would be able to hang out and / or talk to my friends thereafter.
Well I did get to see the production go up for a weekend in February, I went to see it with friends, and went so far as to write a review about send production on my blog. But take that a step further… I saw the production on the opening night and was not as impressed as I would have liked, but when persuaded by a friend that the Saturday night show was better and as thus Sunday should be better still… I figured if I had time I would go and give it a second shot… to better results.
This was a production that I helped minimally as a “blink and you’ll miss it” background role. However, I was curious enough about the movie that I wanted to see it in its entirety and as thus committed to the Kickstarter campaign:
DIRTY CD CASE: This is extremely special: a limited edition CD case made out of the same red latex as the Girl In The Red Dress’s dress. Designed by couture latex designer Vex Clothing, this features a corset closing, just like Girl’s dress. Also doubles as edgy handbag. Very limited, get it fast. Get everything above as well.
For anyone that knows me, they would know that I am a completist and as thus I wasn’t happy with just an online video (especially since at the time I did not own a personal computer), I wanted not just the DVD but the soundtrack as well. Well… as it would turn out I also received the following in my chosen tier:
- DIRTY DVD BUNDLE: This is a new offer: 5 DVDs. Get this reward package on its own or add it to any of the other deals, and now you have 5 extra DVDs to give away to your coolest, strangest friends.
- DIRTY SHIRT: 100% cotton high quality black T-shirt, featuring the Girl In The Red Dress Dress logo by German artist Gernot.
- DIRTY POSTER GIRL: Girl In The Red Dress is not only a character in the film, but also the voice behind the opening and closing songs in the movie. You’ll get the GITRD 3 song EP “Disguise” and the DOUBLE SIDED “Dirty Step Upstage” poster, with the movie poster on one side and artwork of Girl on the back, by Parisienne artist Ginkgo.
- DIRTY MOVIE & MUSIC: You get the “Dirty Step Upstage” soundtrack, with amazing tracks by Girl In The Red Dress, Donald Rubenstein (George A. Romerao’s “Martin”), The Reds (Michael Mann’s “Manhunter”), Rowan Robertson (Dio, DC4) and more.
- DIRTY DVD: You will be one of the first to own the “Dirty Step Upstage” DVD. Packed full of goodies, the DVD also features the official “DSU” music video, the trailer, behind-the-scenes featurettes, and the full electronic press kit so you can read all the key players and learn about the ins and outs of making a self-funded indie feature.
- DIRTY MUSIC VIDEO: See the top-secret Dirty Step Upstage music video via password-protected access before it is publicly released. Featuring Kourtni Lind (So You Think You Can Dance), Thomas Puskailer (Cesko Slovenska Superstar), and Arielle Thomas (Hairspray).
- DIRTY MOVIE: I’ll send you the digital download of the movie, available prior to public download launch. Now you can finally see what all the fuss was about.
- DIRTY SONG: You’ll get the online shout outs. You’ll get the updates. And in my personal email to you I’ll also include the MP3 of the title track, featuring the amazing Rowan Robertson (Dio, DC4) on guitar.
- DIRTY THANKS: For your support I will Tweet, Facebook and personally email my gratitude to you. You’ll get project updates, with never-before-seen stills, and links to featurettes and downloadable wallpapers.
From the website the show:
NOW. HERE. THIS. delves into life’s big questions with inimitable humor and humanity. The show explores birds, bees, reptiles, early man, ancient civilizations and outer space. Also, loneliness, friendship, hoarding, hiding, laughing, living and dying. And middle school. And dinosaurs.
Well after reading the above how could one not want to learn more? The CD was fun, catchy, enjoyable… and off-beat. Just how I like it.
BRYDGE + iPAD
This came in just before the Christmas holiday weekend and already I know that I absolutely love it. Granted pressing the keys were a bit louder than I would have liked, but my goodness… I just love it, love it, love it. Yes, there are other keyboards made for the iPad out there as well and I do realize that, but this really makes the iPad feel like a netbook/notebook, as opposed to an iPad that is attached to a keyboard.
Now a fair number of my friends that also own the iPad were looking for a similar concept that I was looking for… and many chose other products / ideas. Why did I choose The Brydge as opposed to everything else on the market? Because for some reason, overall I liked the entire effect. And the idea of helping to fund an up and coming business for a market that at the time isn’t saturated seemed like a good idea.
As I play with the device more, I’ll write up a post of my thoughts.